Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Summer, So Far

Wow, so Scott got out of school for the summer and things have been busy ever since! We took a trip to Indianapolis last week to visit friends and do a bit of recording in their amateur, though somewhat professional, basement recording studio. One day later we went to visit Scotts' parents at their central Michigan-located cottage, located on a unique string of marsh-type lakes which are full of lily pads, loons, and other interesting creatures:-) Shortly after that we had some friends spend the night who were passing through on their way home to Missouri. Now we are preparing to head out once more to visit my family and friends in NY, and attend my brothers wedding shower.

While at home, Scott has been leading a group of children (and a few adults) in what he calls "endurance class". "Class" begins at a bit past 8:00am at the local high school track, begins with 25 minutes of jogging, and then includes various drills and stretches and so forth. I couldn't help but have flashbacks to my P.E. class days! Never my favorite subject. It still isn't now, but I am seeking to participate willingly when I can! ;-) Simeon, with some of the other children here, has also been getting an introduction to music theory, rhythm, and violin this summer! I rented a tiny eighth size violin and he loves just messing around with it. We are continuing with reading and basic things such as that, as time allows. There are other things to do after all, like catch bugs and ride bikes, and dig holes...:-)

This evening some of us attended a City Commissioners meeting, as there was a public hearing to discuss a proposed ordinance to allow residents to keep chickens. Hoping it passes! It will make my urban backyard "farm" complete;-) Speaking of which, our garden is going great. I have learned (again) that things always seem to grow bigger than I think they will when I stick those puny transplants in the ground in May, and that I still need to space things a little further apart next year. Currently we are picking bush beans, mini white cucs, the very very first peppers and tomatoes, lettuce, beets, chard, and some herbs. Fun stuff. The process from seed to fruit still amazes me and I think it always will, thanks to such an amazing and ingenious Creator!

Uh, I think I have been forgetting to take pictures... so maybe some later ;-)

-Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment