Saturday, October 15, 2011

Run the Race

This afternoon many children in the Church here participated in the Grand Rapids Kids Marathon. Beginning in mid-August, they began running/walking 3 miles a week and logging their progress on a chart. Prior to today they had completed 25 miles each, and ran the final 1.2 miles of their "marathon" on the "official" race course. They each did so very well, and as I ran along with Chara I was moved almost to tears. We began the race in the back, and immediately one of her shoes fell off and she started crying. By the time I realized the problem and got it back on most of the other 800 or so runners were all ahead of us. We took off running, hoping to catch up a bit... and she did not stop! For the next 1.2 miles she did not stop running. She continued to pass other runners right up until crossing the finish line, and despite the tears in her eyes, she would not slow to a walk. I am not sure that she completed any of her 25 "training" miles with such perseverance and dedication. She was very encouraging to me and this is a day that I will not soon forget:-)

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:1-3

P.S.
I shouldn't neglect to say that I spent my 1.2 miles encouraging her.. almost continuously. So on that note, "Let us encourage one another- and all the more as you see the Day approaching". It "works!"






















Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment