Along similar lines, Scott and I watched a video recently about North Korea; and I was reminded of how terribly AWFUL it is for many of the people who live there. Many families are forced to work in these "camps" which resemble concentration camps, and they almost never come out alive. The country also has a lot of health problems due to malnutrition and lack of healthcare. Today as I caught myself feeling a bit dissatisfied with some physical things resulting from having had three babies over the last 5 years (you know what I am talking about if you have had children!) I asked the Lord to help me get over it and just be content. I was reminded of all those starving people in North Korea and other places, and suddenly realized how pathetic I was being! I have three wonderful, healthy, very well nourished children, and even IF I could or should lose a few pounds, it is partly, ironically, the result of the ABUNDANCE of good, tasty food and resources that have been made available to us. While children in the poorest countries are dying from lack of good food, I have to keep an eye on HOW MUCH mine are eating and be careful I am not feeding them TOO MANY sweets and yummy stuff (I love to bake!) or that we're not going to McDonald's an unhealthy amount of times per month! Anyway, just something I started thinking about today...
Speaking of food, lol, we ran out of apples and made a trip to a local orchard Saturday morning. This particular orchard sells apples cheaper than anywhere else (DK Orchards, for you locals) and even in November they are open two days a week and you can pick apples out of bins. They charge $4.75 per half bushel (a huge basket) but they had a special on some "seconds" and were only charging $3 per BUSHEL... so we stocked up;-) I have got to start drying them tomorrow! We prefer to eat them in the form of apple chips- very tasty! Also picked up some squash for super cheap, and they had free pumpkins. My back porch is loaded up with all of this stuff. I may buy a pressure canner and start canning pumpkin... Enough about food.
Saturday afternoon I sat down to do some reading and school work with Simeon. He seems to be reading better this week than usual. I am attributing it to the review cards I made. He gets an m&m for each word he reads correctly, and we do this in addition to his approx. 15 minutes of reading out of his Phonics book. He is enjoying learning to read:-) In the later part of the afternoon we went to visit some old friends and neighbors, and then came home to a late dinner with our friends Luke & Jill, and their children. Luke takes such good care of us! Scott is not really a home-repair type of guy, though he IS good with plumbing THANKFULLY!! Anyway, Luke will frequently pick up stuff from Home Depot for us and work with Scott installing it... or wait till we are out of town and then do it while we are gone! Last night the after-dinner project was attempting to make out back door less drafty. I really had to laugh this morning though when I discovered a box with a brand new toilet seat in it!!
This morning I got up early (not that I had a choice; Silas was awake at 6:00 a.m. and would not go back to sleep) and made a breakfast pizza for the first time. Refrigerated pizza dough crust topped with hash-browns, ham, scrambled eggs, and cheese. This afternoon I did a rare thing and got out for a jog (it was actually quite refreshing) and also stopped by to visit a neighbor who just had a baby. At 2:00 I decided I had better get sewing as we were going to a 1st birthday party/dinner at 5:30 and I had been hoping to make a sleep sack to bring for the baby! Somehow I managed to get it done just in time, though I was a little late and had to sent Scott and the kids on ahead of me:-)
I will wrap this up for now and get to bed. Cooking and jogging and sewing all day has meant that other things have NOT gotten done, like my kitchen full of dishes... but that is just how it seems to go sometimes. Lord-willing there will be time for that tomorrow!
Love to you all, and I will write more as I have time:-)
Leigh
No comments:
Post a Comment